The role of Assistant Coach will assist the head coach in the organization, development, and leadership of the athletic program in support of the mission and core values of the Ankeny Community School District. Duties may include coordinating practice planning, skill development, and designing strategies which prepare the team for competition; mentoring student-athletes; assisting with camps; collaborating with other coaches; and demonstrating adherence to district, conference, and state association rules and regulations.
- Experience coaching the sport, preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead, instruct, and supervise student athletes.
- Ability to work under pressure and remain calm.
- Knowledge and understanding of sport/ program.
- Excellent organization, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Works well with others in high pressure environments.
- Teach and promote athletic skills, teamwork, discipline, respect and sportsmanship.
- Assess student performance for purposes of providing feedback on his/her individual performance and/or determining team placement.
- Collaborate with the head coach in developing and promoting off season programs and opportunities for student athletes.
- Collaborate with the head coach and other coaching staff, as appropriate, on instructional strategies, organization of practices, supervision guidelines, and responsibilities for the purposes of developing the program at all levels.
- Adhere to injury prevention procedures established by Ankeny CSD.
- In collaboration with the head coach, apply and enforce all student discipline during athletic contests and ensure student athletics maintain sportsmanship in all phases of the competition.
- Collaboratively work to enhance sportsmanship by spectators, both directly and indirectly by working closely with administration, cheerleaders, pep clubs, boosters, etc.