Under general supervision assists in ensuring that the district Vision, Mission and Goals are achieved and supports and reinforces a Varsity sports program that is educationally sound, athletically productive, and creates a positive learning experience for students. Reports to the school’s Athletic Director and Principal (or his or her designee).
- Supports and reinforces a productive Varsity sports program. Provides and ensures the maintenance of adequate and safe areas of play; ensures that all participants undergo thorough conditioning and proper education on the fundamentals of the sport;
- Responsible for the health and safety of student athletes; ensures that proper safety and first aid procedures are followed at all times; follows all appropriate emergency procedures; makes sure that all participants have a valid physical examination before participation; follows up on all injuries by calling parents, visiting at the emergency room/hospital, etc;
- Promotes and maintains positive relationships with parents and student athletes; conducts parent meetings prior to the beginning of the season; provides parents with his/her coaching philosophy and expectations, discusses “lettering” policy, insurance information, and warns of inherent risks of injury, etc.;
- Ensures appropriate behavior of assigned coaching staff, players, and other team personnel at all times;
- Ensures effective practice organization; the expectation is that all coaches will have a written daily practice plan and a master practice plan.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred with 5 years of coaching experience preferred.
- Job requires knowledge of the policies, procedures and activities of the school district which pertain to the specific duties and responsibilities of the position; thorough knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of the sport and of district athletic and extracurricular programs; knowledge of the records, forms and reports which must be prepared and maintained; knowledge of proper maintenance of equipment, materials and supplies used in daily activities for athletic and extracurricular programs.
- Job requires ability to provide instruction to others through explanation, demonstration and/or supervised practice; ability to plan and manage sports programs; possesses skill and ability in organizing, planning, and coordinating the activities of groups toward identified objectives; ability to prepare detailed reports and schedules as required;