The assistant coach is responsible for assisting the Head Coach with supervising, assessing and training the players.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist the head coach with instructing players in the rules, regulations, equipment, and techniques of the sport.
- Assess player’s skills, monitor players during competition and practice, and keep the head Coach informed of the athletic performance of the students.
- Maintain a record of team statistics and requirements for lettering. (For both head coach and athletic director)
- Work within the basic framework and philosophy of the head coach of that sport and assists with determining game strategy.
- Assist the head Coach with supervising athletes during practices and competition.
- Attending all staff meetings and carrying out scouting assignments as outlined by the head coach.
- Serve as a role model of good sportsmanship and appropriate conduct towards players, officials, and spectators.
- Arrive 15 minutes before practice, 60 minutes before contests and meetings to adequately prepare and remain long enough afterwards to help players with concerns or to become involved in staff discussions.
Skills & Experience:
- Successful completion of the NCAA certification exam.
- Committed to compliance with the NCAA, East Coast Conference and Mercy College policies and regulations.
- Ability to effectively work with a diverse population of student athletes and coaches in a cultural climate that celebrates diversity.