The Assistant Coach assists in the planning, organizing, and coaching of the Gannon University Women’s Wrestling team, ensuring adherence to NCAA rules, regulations and the University’s Mission. In addition, assisting in the development of leadership and citizenship in the student-athletes. Must be able to support and promote the University’s Mission.
- Assists in on-mat freestyle instruction, coaching in techniques and strategy; evaluates the individual performance of student-athletes, and provides leadership and instruction in areas of deficiency as required.
- Coordinates, screens, and evaluates athletic qualifications of prospective recruits; coordinates with the Admissions Office to establish academic eligibility and arranges meetings between prospects and the University; recommends individuals for scholarships.
- Promotes a positive student-athlete experience through, counsel in academics and personal matters.
- Consults with appropriate personnel and resources for resolution of issues as required.
- Assists with administrative duties, such as, but not limited to travel arrangements, organizing break meals, ordering of equipment, and monitoring study tables.
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required.
- A minimum of two years of collegiate coaching experience or collegiate student-athlete experience.
- Must have a working knowledge of NCAA rules as well as an understanding of the philosophy behind them.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills; demonstrated organizational and time management skills; technical knowledge of freestyle wrestling skills and strategy combined with the ability to effectively teach and coach them; the ability to motivate and effectively communicate with student-athletes; strong administrative skills such as prioritization, organization, and budgeting; ability to work independently and to work under pressure.