This position instructs middle school athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success in their program. The employee must understand and abide by all building, Tacoma School District and Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) policies, regulations, procedures and guidelines.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Supervises student athletes to promote effective student learning through participation in athletic activities.
- Plans, develops and implements an effective program for the particular sport to prepare athletes both physically and mentally to participate with confidence and self-assurance in athletic contests; formulates behavioral objectives for the coming sports season; administers discipline when necessary in a fair and consistent manner; emphasizes safety precautions; provides opportunities for each participant to achieve some success; shares information with parents (rules, schedule, practice days and times) to review the total scope of program; informs participants prior to season about the district’s policies and regulations and extracurricular activity contract.
- Organizes practice sessions that are both stimulating and instructive; conducts practice with 7th and 8th grade teams four days a week and 6th grade teams two days a week, immediately after school with the idea of developing the athlete’s greatest potential; teaches basic fundamental skills of the sport; prepares daily practice activities and keeps records on file; emphasizes and promotes good sportsmanship in the conduct of team members and coaches.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent and a minimum of two years of experience as an assistant coach; must be at least 21 years of age (WIAA Regulation) or any combination of experience and training which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and ability required to perform the work and that meets federal and state requirements.
- First Aid Certificate and CPR card are required.
- Knowledge of building, Tacoma School District, and WIAA policies, regulations, procedures and guidelines.
- Knowledge of effective coaching practices/techniques for the particular sport.