- Valid West Virginia teaching certificate appropriate for assignments.
- Non-professional coaches/sponsors must have successfully completed the National Federation Interscholastic Coaches Education Program in Coaching Principles Course and the National Federation Interscholastic Coaches Education Program in Sports First Aid Course. Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
- Assists with recommendations on purchases of equipment, supplies, and uniforms, as appropriate
- Maintains or provides necessary information for attendance forms, insurance records, and similar paperwork.
- Supervises the safety and well-being of the student athlete.
- Oversees the safety conditions of the facility or area in which assigned sport is conducted at all times that students are present.
- Establishes and maintains performance criteria for eligibility in interscholastic competition in his/her sport.
- Coordinates and documents that the student athlete is physically fit to participate (medical doctor examination)
- Enforces discipline and sportsmanlike behavior at all times and establishes and oversees penalties for breach of such standards by individual students.