The Assistant Coach works under the direction of the Head Coach, Activities Director and the building Principal: provides leadership, training and emotional support for students participating in a given sport. Supervises and assists in the sport program of his/her assignment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Coaches individual participants in the skills necessary for satisfactory development in the sport involved.
- Follows the system of play to be used as affirmed by Head Coach and district athletic philosophy.
- Complies with rules, regulations and policies of the district (Safe Schools)athletic conference and the OSAA (where applicable).
- Report to Head Coach regarding injuries, potential safety hazards immediately.
- Plans and schedules a regular program of practice in season, in concert with the Head Coach, Activities Director within the conference and district philosophy.
- Recruits students for participation in sport.
- Provides supervision for athletes in the dressing room and during practices, as well as to and from home on away games.
- Promotes good sportsmanship, fair play, ethical conduct, and desirable pupil/teacher relationships.
- Recommends to the Head Coach the purchase of equipment, supplies and uniforms, as appropriate. Equipment list will be given to the athletic director for the following year.
- Works in conjunction with the Head Coach in the following:
a. squad roster with all necessary personal data at least one week before the first game and corrects later if necessary.
c. maintains necessary school attendance forms and emergency notification forms.
d. prepares athletic team roster two days prior to teams being excused from school and turns it in to the Activities Director.
e. responsible for the care of equipment, supplies, and physical properties of the sport.
f. submits an inventory for the sport immediately following the close of the season.
g. oversees—at all times that students are present – safety conditions of the facility or area in which assigned sport is conducted.
h. requires athlete turn in all forms/athletic paperwork signed by the Activities Director office prior to issuing equipment for the sport.
- Attends all organizational meetings as required by the Activities Director.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Athletic Director, Principal.
- High School Diploma
- Knowledge of the sport to be coached, equipment and materials to be utilized in the sport, and supervisory principles/techniques.
- Skill in working with students, staff and patrons.
- Ability to apply effective principles in directing and motivating athletes.
- Ability to be responsible for assisting the Head Coach in coaching a team or group of players.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds on a consistent basis.
- First Aid/CPR required.
- Clearance of a criminal background check and fingerprinting.