Northern Illinois University (NIU) is accepting applications for the position of Associate Athletic Director/Associate Director of SAASS. This is a full-time, 12-month position with benefits. Under the general supervision of the Director, this position creates an atmosphere that recognizes the importance of student-athletes’ responsibilities in the attainment of academic success.
- Supervise day-to-day management and oversight of the operations of SAASS and provide support for, and work closely with, the SAASS Director on unit issues.
- Consult with the Director on SAASS, athletics and campus culture to assist the Director with unit decisions and actions.
- Recommend unit initiatives to the Director.
- Supervise, train, and provide support SAASS athletic academic coordinators.
- Oversees assigned sports teams by helping facilitate the academic success and eligibility of student-athletes.
- Coordinate, plan and implement the training of new athletic academic coordinators.
- Supervise, direct, and initiate formal performance evaluations of the athletic academic coordinators and make recommendations on promotions and salary raises to the Director.
- Supervise athletic academic coordinators in developing and achieving individual goals.
- Supervise and provide leadership to the athletic academic coordinators in establishing meaningful and achievable departmental group goals. Provide direction and motivation to achieve group and individual goas as well as regular opportunities for evaluation and updating of individual and group goals.
- Act as the liaison to the Orientation department on campus. Supervise and direct all duties associated with orientation of new student-athletes.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- A total of five (5) years work experience providing academic support services (academic advising, academic counseling, tutoring) to student athletes at the college or university level that includes experience working with NCAA eligibility rules and regulations.