This is a key department of athletics leadership and management position having a strong collaborative responsibility to the Vice President and Director of Athletics. This position will help direct the business and fiscal affairs of the department of athletics, its daily operations, and related personnel.
- Oversee the daily preparation and reconciliation of operating budgets for each of the department of athletics sport programs and administrative areas. Create monthly financial reports in an accurate and timely manner and clearly communicate monthly financial data to all head coaches and heads of departments. Advise senior staff and head coaches about on-going finance, budget, and business issues, and develop financial models for planning purposes.
- Establish monitoring processes for oversight of spending by sports and administrative units. Works directly with various internal and external constituencies such as coaches, staff, NCAA and Conference officials, third party financial auditors etc. to ensure proper execution of the department’s fiscal goals and expectations.
- Assume responsibility for the annual budgeting of the Athletics area and assist Financial Planning and Analysis team during monthly close process, annual budget process, year-end close and with various analysis for Athletics area given the current landscape of the college level athletics arena.
- Preparation and submission to the University finance department all monthly account reconciliations with respect to athletic accounts.
- Preparation of the monthly student athlete refunds for submission to student financial services.
- Responsible for all financial reporting related to Athletics, including NCAA agreed upon procedures, Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act and any other NCAA or Conference reporting requirements.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Business Administration required.
- Five or more years of progressively responsible professional experience in the area of financial management, accounting, and/or budgeting.
- Three or more years of experience effectively managing professional and support staff.
- Two (2) or more years’ experience working in intercollegiate athletics, particularly in budget planning and administration.
- Higher education or not for profit industry and/or public accounting preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with competing deadlines.
- Experience with application of accounting principles and knowledge of building a budget and budget review.
- Demonstrated successful experience in accounting and financial/budget management and in managing and tracking multi-fund budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and analyze a variety of numerical data sets (e.g. revenue and expense reports, workforce/salary reports, and budgets).