James Madison University, a Division I member of the NCAA and Sun Belt Conference, is accepting applications for an Associate Director of Athletic Communications to coordinate communications, media relations and sports information strategies for select JMU Athletics programs with a focus on digital, social and creative media to increase the public’s awareness of the experience and achievements of student-athletes at JMU.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate all communication strategies for specifically tasked sport programs (2-4) to maximize coverage of the student-athlete experience at JMU. Sport responsibilities will include one revenue-generating sport.
- Oversee additional staffing to include game day wage statisticians and students (interns, practicums, wage, volunteer).
- Use social media, creative technology and other digital tools to communicate information about student-athletes and assigned programs, serving as a publicist to tell their stories.
- Work collaboratively within a team environment under the direction of staff leader to build cohesive communication methods and support needs across all departmental sport programs and offices.
- Deploy traditional media relations methods such as statistics, media notes, press releases, record-keeping and more to document sport achievements and history.
- Multiple years of experience in an intercollegiate or professional sports team’s communications office.
- Knowledge of various web software programs, game operations and various NCAA Live Stats (Genius) and Stat Crew statistical programs.
- Must possess good writing and editing ability and knowledge of AP writing style.
- Desktop publishing and creative design experience, preferably with Adobe products (InDesign, Photoshop).
- Must be highly motivated, energetic, task-oriented, multitasking and be able to manage a work schedule that includes some weekend work.