The responsibilities of the athletic director include organizing sports functions, hiring, mentoring, and evaluating coaches, overseeing sports facilities, and managing all aspects of the sports department.
- Scheduling and overseeing sports functions.
- Arranging travel logistics for all sports teams to attend away games.
- Ensure athletic fields and facilities are prepared and maintained per MHSAA guidelines.
- Buying athletic equipment and ensuring they are maintained.
- Building community relations and handling media inquiries.
- Developing and implementing processes and procedures for the athletics department to ensure the school remains compliant with athletic rules and regulations.
- Managing the athletics programs and department.
- Bachelor's degree in sports management, athletic administration, or a related field; OR 5 years of experience as a school athletic director.
- Teacher certification or 60 college credit hours and a willingness to substitute teach in the classroom preferred.
- Knowledge in the following sports: volleyball, basketball, football, baseball, softball, bowling, golf, track.
- Keen understanding of how young athletes should be developed.
- Comfortable having hard conversations with parents and enforcing sportsmanship expectations at competitions.