The George Mason University Intercollegiate Athletics Department is seeking a dynamic leader to fill the position of Athletic Director. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as an advisor to the President and the Chief of Staff, President’s Office, providing advice, consultation, and support in the development of policy, long-range planning, and responses to issues and trends affecting intercollegiate athletics.
- Evaluate, recommend revisions of, and communicate policies related to athletics, e.g., ticket policies, scheduling, and travel policies, etc.
- Assure all staff complies with appropriate University, Conference (Atlantic 10), and NCAA rules and regulations.
- Provide leadership in responding to, as well as anticipating student needs, and campus issues related to all University athletic programs.
- Provide leadership oversight, consultation, and support for each of the functional areas supervised.
- Maintain a long-range planning process for the administrative services and developmental programs within the purview of these areas.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced Degree in related field or Bachelor’s Degree plus substantial relevant experience in related field (typically 8+ years of progressively increased responsibility).
- Demonstrated leadership in intercollegiate athletics.
- Excellent administrative and financial management skills.
- Demonstrated brand marketing, public relations, and media experience.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work effectively with multiple constituent groups.
- Strategic vision and ability to mobilize support behind institutional goals.
- Firm commitment to ethics and student-athlete academic success.