The Athletic Director provides each enrolled student of secondary school age an opportunity to participate in an interscholastic athletic activity that will foster physical skills, a sense of worth and competence, a knowledge and understanding of the pleasures of sport, character building through healthy competition, and the principles of fair play. The Athletic Director reports to the High School Principal, and directs the work of all Athletics staff, and administrative support staff assigned to the department.
- Supervisor license recommended, or eligible for licensure by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary & Secondary Education, and Certified Athletic Administrator (CAA);
- Bachelors degree, Masters preferred, from an accredited college or university, in a related field;
- Teaching experience and experience coaching at the varsity high school level preferred. Experience in athletic administration a plus;
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the High School Principal and/or the Superintendent may find appropriate and in conformity with state and federal law.
- Organizes and administers the overall program of interscholastic athletics for the district. Provides leadership in the selection, assignment, and evaluation of athletic coaches and staff members. Assumes responsibility for the organization and scheduling of all interscholastic athletic events.
- Supports school-wide initiatives around the social and emotional health and well-being of all students;
- Fosters good school-community relations by keeping the community aware of, and responsive to, all athletic programs;
- Coordinates officials, team physicians, and policemen as required, and assume general responsibility for the proper supervision of home games and arranges transportation for athletic contest participants for away games;
- Develops, institutes and monitors appropriate rules and regulations governing the conduct of athletic activities;
- Verifies each athletes eligibility according to established physical and academic requirements of eligibility for participation in each sport.