An interscholastic athletic program remains a key element in the life of a successful comprehensive middle school. The Athletic Director provides the energy, leadership, and enthusiasm for this important activity by working with the Coaches, Athletes, Administrators, Teachers, Parents, and Citizens of the community to make things happen for the benefit of Student-Athletes both in schools and in the community. The employee in this position must possess a considerable degree of business expertise to ensure the success of the total program to benefit all student-athletes.
- Provides leadership for the athletic department and places it in the proper education perspective.
- Assists the principal in securing competent personnel for Athletic Staff. The Athletic Director should be included in interviews and selection.
- Prepares and keeps a calendar of school athletic events; communicates this calendar and a list of activities to all facets of the school.
- Assigns facilities for all school athletic practices, activities, and community usage.
- Attends as many contests, meets, and events as possible.
- Transmits all pertinent information for North Carolina High School Athletic Association (NCHSAA) and Conferences to Principals and Coaches.
- Arranges approved transportation to athletic events.
- Resolves conflicts that may develop from time to time within the ranks of the Athletic Department.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear. The employee occasionally is required to sit and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Must be able to perform light work exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up-to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or up 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Must possess the visual acuity to prepare data, work with record processes, and do extensive reading and research.