Minneapolis Public Schools Coaches are teachers of athletic activities. In this role, they have specific duties and responsibilities.
- Monitor and support the academic progress of the athletes in the program. Aid athletes in meeting the academic eligibility requirements and maximizing their academic potential.
- Be responsible for the instruction and supervision of the fundamentals and specific direction of the program so that each and every athlete has the equal opportunity to improve.
- Abide by the rules of the game in letter and spirit.
- Know, understand, support and adhere to school, district, state and national policies and philosophies.
- Keep an up-to-date list of team members by grade and ID number.
- Provide an environment free of safety hazards.
- Constantly and consistently maintain exemplary conduct at practices and games that reflect an attitude of respect and courtesy toward teammates, opponents, officials and spectators and require team members to do the same.
- Plan, organize and supervise regular practice sessions to include an effective conditioning program and provide an opportunity for every athlete to improve.
- Understand and practice the proper care and prevention of injuries.
- Attend rules interpretation meetings yearly to stay currently informed of the rules of the sport or activity and hold preseason meetings with parents and athletes.
- Know, understand, support and adhere to the state, district and school eligibility rules. In addition, aid the Building Athletic Director in counseling students on these rules so they will not participate in any activity that will jeopardize their eligibility.
- Assist the Building Athletic Director with the collection and maintenance of required records including physical exam forms, eligibility bulletins, parent permission form, insurance disclaimer form, participation fees, transportation requests and award winners.
- Assist the Building Athletic Director in establishing a non-conference schedule.