The incumbent is responsible for supporting student-athlete academic success, recruiting prospective student-athletes following the College’s mission and student-athlete recruitment procedures, and planning and directing the applicable sports program/athletic team, which competes in both the fall and spring semesters.
1. Supports student-athlete academic success by ensuring students are meeting the College’s academic progress expectations and providing and enforcing appropriate interventions when there are signs of deficiency.
2. Establishes a recruitment plan that fields a team for the entire academic year, securing in-state student-athletes in accordance with the mission of the College and vision for athletics.
3. Maintains positive relationships with Delaware high school coaches to recruit prospective student-athletes.
4. Designs and implements a long-term strategic vision and plan to directs the athletic team, assigning positions, preparing players for athletic competition, developing and implementing strategies to improve performance, and determining game strategy. Continuously evaluates and adjusts plan as changes occur and players develop.
5. Models and encourages leadership, sportsmanship, teamwork, and positive citizenship.
6. Verifies athlete eligibility prior to competition. Coordinates with the athletic director to ensure eligibility across multiple semesters.
7. Assesses scholarship eligibility and awards scholarships according to the athletic scholarship guidelines, coordinates letter of intent completion, and provides input to strengthen scholarship awarding process.
8. Serves as the primary lead to schedule games, events, and transportation of players to games.
9. Serves as the responsible party for student-athlete safety and conduct during all team athletic practices, games, events and activities and notifies the athletic director of any issues.
10. Supports marketing and public relations efforts by providing game/athletic contest results and highlights in a timely manner, sharing student-athlete success stories, and promoting athletics in the community using forums such as social media.
11. Oversees the maintenance and inventory of sports equipment and supplies.
12. Participates in regular coaching meetings and professional development as designated by the athletic director.
13. Supervises assistant coaching staff as designated.
14. Performs other related duties as required.