As an Athletics Coach you are directly responsible to both the head coach and the Director of Athletics. The coach of an individual sport must realize that any activity sponsored by SHS Athletics is part of the total program offered by SHS. Individuals in charge of such activities must utilize sound educational principles and goals if athletics are to be a worthwhile part of the overall school program.
- Model the behaviors outlined in the NFHS Coaches Code of Ethics, especially those pertaining to sportsmanship.
- Have full control of the team in all matters pertaining to coaching and athletic discipline.
- Implement SHS Athletic Department policies and team rules.
- Be responsible for information contained in the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association Handbook and the SHS Student Handbook.
- Attend all Athletic Department and SHS meetings that deal directly with the sport coached. Including MIAA, GBL, Coaches Associations and Athletic Awards meetings.
- Stay informed of rule changes, trends, and recommendations that affect their particular sport.
- Be present at each practice session and at all contests of the sport coached. This includes supervision, at all times, and of the weight room, locker room and shower areas until the area is secured before and after practices and contests.
- Develop an organized written practice plan to include adequate warm-up and cool-down procedures on a daily basis.
- Bachelor's Degree or higher from an accredited college or university is preferred.
- Previous successful playing and/or coaching; experience working with adolescents.
- Current Red Cross CPR, First Aid Certification, completion of the MIAA Coaches Education Class and other requirements by the MIAA.