Under the direction of the Director – Sports Programs and/or designees, and in harmony with the mission and purpose of the established goals of the Westfield Area Y, the Basketball Coach is responsible for organizing, supervising and instructing basketball programming that enables participants to learn basic sport-specific skills that apply the philosophy and goals of YMCA character development. In addition, all Basketball Coaches must exemplify that member service is an equal part of any position in the "Y" as the technical aspects of each position.
- Relate to each participant equally and consistently throughout the entire class session.
- Adapt to changes well, such as: program, student’s ability level, space availability, and modifications to class plan as needed.
- Lead a group of children and take control of situations through quick and appropriate responses, if issues arise.
- Wear suitable, professional clothing and shoes that will not prevent them from teaching effectively.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for basketball related programs and environments (Ex: Keeps closets clean, stores equipment properly, makes sure the sports class area is organized properly and free of clutter).
- Maintain positive relationships with members, participants and staff through good communication and interaction.
- Must possess, maintain and renew ASHI Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers and Professional Rescuers, ASHI Basic First Aid, EPI and Asthma certifications or equivalent within 90 days of hire.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age
- Knowledge of basketball fundamentals, techniques and game play situations.
- Must possess the capabilities to teach using proper technique and proper progression.
- Experience working with children.
- Enthusiastic attitude.