To instruct student-athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy, and training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success, an increased level of self-esteem, and an appreciation for the values of discipline and sportsmanship.
- Work closely with the Athletic Director in planning and scheduling a regular program of sports practice and interscholastic contests.
- Establish with the assigned staff the fundamental philosophy, skill, and technique training appropriate for student-athletes participating in the particular sport.
- Have knowledge of existing local, league, and state sports regulations and oversees the consistent implementation of such using proper administrative channels.
- Maintain and provide, as assigned, all appropriate documentation and record keeping to fulfill system and/or state requirements including, but not limited to, individual physical examinations, interscholastic registration/permission/medical forms, equipment/uniform inventories and the like.
- Employment as a teacher in the system is preferred but not required.
- Successful previous experience as a player or coach, preferably in the assigned sport.
- Must have substantial knowledge of the technical aspects and procedures pertinent to the particular sport including rules of Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA).
- A proven ability to work in a polite and friendly manner with various constituencies: i.e., students, teachers, parents, administrators and the community or public.