To help each participating student to achieve a high level of skill, an understanding of the strategies of the game, an appreciation for the values of discipline, sportsmanship and teamwork, and an increased level of self-esteem.
- Coach individuals in the skills and techniques necessary for the excellent achievement in the sport involved.
- Teach sound and updated strategies of the game.
- Plans and schedules all practices in season and out.
- Is responsible for out of season programs.
- Oversees the safety conditions of the facility or area assigned to the sport for practices and contests.
- Maintains accurate statistics, records, and results of the season.
- Enforces discipline and sportsmanlike behavior at all times, and establishes and oversees penalties for breach of such standards.
- Establishes a fair set of behavior standards in developing team and training rules.
- Maintains competency in knowledge of the rules and interpretations, contest procedures, and general information about all aspects of the sport.
- Follows all rules concerning state and district guidelines concerning student academic eligibility.
- Valid teaching certificate is preferred although not required. Hrs. in physical education or equivalent hours and courses in coaching theory are helpful.
- Certification in CPR, First- aid is recommended.
- The ability to read and interpret documents, instructional manuals, technical reports, procedures, and rulings.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of students or employees.