To instruct athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success. At the same time, the student shall receive instruction that will lead to the formulation of moral values, pride of accomplishment, acceptable social behavior, self- discipline and self-confidence.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Be responsible for all matters pertaining to the organization and administration of coaching the team under his/her direction and enforce all rules of the CIAC and the CCC as they pertain to the respective sport.
- Arrange for pre-season meeting with students and parents to provide information and discuss rules, regulations, and expectations for your program.
- Coaches individual participants in the skills necessary for excellent achievement in the sport involved.
- Promote respect by example through appearance, manners, behavior, language and conduct.
- Insure proper warm-up and conditioning programs in an effort to reduce the risks of injury.
- Supervise and evaluate assistant coaches, assign duties and conduct staff meetings as necessary at all levels.
- Properly supervise all student athletes while utilizing athletic facilities, at practice, in transit and at games.
- Inspect all equipment oversee the issuance and collection of equipment/ uniforms. Maintain an equipment inventory, keep records, enforce rules regarding care of equipment and advise the Athletic Director as to reconditioning needs.
- Monitor academic progress of team members during the season emphasizing the implementation of the Extra Assistance Program.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to adhere to all policies, rules, and regulations of Newington Public Schools, the Central Connecticut Conference (CCC), and the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference (CIAC).
- Ability to promote the program positively throughout the community.
- Ability to organize work and responsibilities of the coaching staff effectively while exercising independent judgment based on the goals and objectives of the Athletic Department.
- Ability to apply budgeting and fiscal planning techniques.
- Ability to deal with elevated levels of stress associated with the multiple tasks in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to attend out of season and in season meetings and professional development opportunities.