- Knowledge of the assigned sport.
- Physically able to carry out the coaching duties of the assigned sport.
- Knowledge of physical fitness and sports safety.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong supervisory skills.
- Ability to motivate others.
- Plan, organize and teach the fundamentals, strategies, rules and proper conditioning for the assigned sport.
- Provide an atmosphere conducive to good sportsmanship.
- Ensure that adequate supervision is provided for all students involved in the sport.
- Instruct sports participants in safety procedures for handling injury situations; contact emergency personnel when necessary.
- Conduct tryouts for a team or for an individual to participate in a competition; select the players for a team or participants for individual sports who will represent the school.
- Instruct and work with students to assist them with perfecting their abilities and providing them guidance in keeping fit for competition and teaching them how to react under the pressure of competitive play.
- Prepare the team or individual athletes for competition by working out plays and strategies.
- Provide for the safety of student sports participants by inspecting and preparing equipment and facilities.
- Issue, collect and maintain inventory of uniforms and sports equipment as required.