To instruct athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success. At the same time, the coach must instruct and demonstrate behaviors that lead to socially acceptable character development, self-discipline, self-confidence, and pride of accomplishment in the student athletes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves as a mentor to each athlete to promote the development and demonstration in student athletes the character traits of trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship.
- Gives constant attention to a student athlete's grades and conduct.
- By his/her presence at all practices games and while traveling, provides assistance, guidance and safeguards for each participant.
- Provides training rules and any other unique regulations of the sport to each athlete who is considered a participant.
- Completes paperwork on all disabling athletic injuries on proper forms and submits to athletic office within 24 hours.
- Directs student managers, assistants and statisticians.
- Maintains confidentiality when dealing with student, staff, and/or parent information.
- Is accountable for all equipment and collects the cost of any equipment lost or not returned.
- Has the ability to organize and supervise a total sports program.
- Has previous successful coaching experience.
- The coach must have substantial knowledge of the technical aspects of the sport and, at the same time, must continue to examine new theories and procedures pertinent to the field.
- The coach must serve as an appropriate role model for student athletes through his/her instructions and actions.