A coach is directly responsible to the Director of Athletics. The coach of an individual sport must realize that any activity sponsored by WHS Athletics is part of the total program offered by WHS. Individuals in charge of such activities must utilize sound educational principles and goals if athletics are to be a worthwhile part of the overall school program.
- Model the behaviors outlined in the NFHS Coaches Code of Ethics, especially those pertaining to sportsmanship.
- Have full control of the team in all matters pertaining to coaching and athletic discipline.
- Implement WHS Athletic Department policies and team rules.
- Be responsible for information contained in the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association Handbook and the WHS Athletic Guide.
- Stay informed of rule changes, trends, and recommendations that affect their particular sport.
- Be present at each practice session and at all contests of the sport coached.
- Develop an organized written practice plan to include adequate warm-up and cool-down procedures on a daily basis.
- Previous successful playing and/or coaching; experience working with adolescents.
- Current CPR, First Aid Certification, completion of the MIAA Coaches Education Class and other requirements by the MIAA.