The assistant coach position is responsible for providing leadership, guidance and instruction to student athletes within the program. The assistant coach reports to, and works closely with, the head coach along with other assistant coaches to determine goals and direction of the program. The assistant coach is responsible for the health, safety and welfare of every student athlete participating on their team.
- Prior playing and coaching experience at the collegiate and/or high school level.
- Proven experience in teaching and modeling character and responsible behavior.
- Positive, high energy, and committed.
- Firm understanding of, and proven support for, education-based interscholastic athletics.
- Partners well with parents, staff, community leaders, etc.
- View success not just as winning, but as helping teams and its members reach defined goals.
- Coordinate the training, instruction, and conditioning of athletes with head and assistant coaches.
- Communicates with head coach regarding team questions and concerns.
- Member of the MSHCA.
- Develops and organizes effective practices for athletes that teach skills needed to compete in our conference.
- Demonstrates and generates, among your staff and players, an attitude of good sportsmanship and fair play by adhering to the "Coach’s Code of Ethics" and our sportsmanship guidelines.
- Adheres to the rules set forth by the MSHSL and the NFHS.
- Provides for the health, safety, and well-being of team members at practices, games, and transportation to and from games.
- Affects a proper relationship with athletes and parents.
- Assists head coach and equipment manager with the distribution and collection of equipment on a timely basis, informing athletes of their responsibility for the use and return of athletic equipment/uniforms.