The Intercollegiate Athletics Department at George Mason University, an NCAA Division I institution and a member of the Atlantic 10 athletic conference, is seeking qualified applicants for a Deputy Athletic Director, Intercollegiate Sports position (full-time, 12-month administrative professional). George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
- External relations – work collaboratively with external relations staff to ensure sports are meeting fundraising goals and utilizing effective marketing and communications strategies;
- Act as a lead sport supervisor, developing other sport supervisors and create a pipeline for future sport supervisors;
- Schedule, plan and conduct coaches’ meetings and staff meetings, as appropriate;
- Ensure sport programs’ compliance with NCAA, University, A10, departmental policies and procedures;
- Assist Athletic Director in annual overall evaluation of the sport program(s);
- Develop and prepare for the Director, periodic quality assurance and improvement reports;
- Work collaboratively with AD, Intercollegiate HR on assigned head coach contracts and initiate athletically related bonuses.
- Advanced degree or training and work experience at a level that equates to an advanced degree;
- Substantial legal experience, NCAA Division I compliance related experience on campus, at the NCAA national office or in a conference office setting;
- Excellent working knowledge of NCAA Division I rules;
- Technologically proficient and have prior experience or familiarity with NCAA applications (e.g., LSDBi, RSRO, CAi);
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships (e.g., with coaches, student-athletes, faculty, staff and the community);
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines and multiple competing priorities.