The Director of Athletic Communications is responsible for promoting the University and its goals through the production of sports-related media relations and promotion. The position also serves as the official statistician. The Director serves as the University sports media liaison: developing story ideas, writing, distributing press releases and coordinating media attendance at campus sporting events. The Director works with the all athletic programs within the Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct responsibility for all University athletic communications and statistics.
- Coordinates team statistics for each program.
- Compiles season and career statistics and records for all teams.
- Reports statistics to the USA-South and NCAA, while meeting appropriate deadlines.
- Responsible for staffing to cover home athletic events, including a game program, organizing relevant statistics, and reporting to media.
- Hires, trains, and oversees interns & work-study students.
- Coordinates nomination process of student athletes for conference and NCAA awards.
- Prepares annual budget for Athletic Communication program to be used by Director of Athletics.
- Develops and maintains athletic web pages and social media accounts on a daily basis.
- Prepares and distributes daily/weekly sports releases.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Communications or related field and three years of successful Athletic Communication experience preferably at the collegiate level OR equivalent combination of education and experience. (News reporting and editing experience may be accepted.)
- Must have knowledge of college athletics; expertise with software programs to generate athletic statistics, update web pages and produce programs; photography experience; video production//broadcast and editing skills; and availability to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends.