The position serves as the primary sports information director and media contact for three to four sports. These responsibilities include cultivation and direct oversight of the student worker staff, updating the athletic department’s official website, maintaining all relevant statistical data, promoting assigned sports through all relevant channels and facilitating positive press coverage with members of the local and national media.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build and implement a student internship program.
- Serve as the liaison between JU Athletics and Gemstone Media in a collaborative partnership for our broadcasting needs.
- Maintaining positive relationships with members of the local and national media (earned media).
- Field and facilitate interview requests.
- Pitch stories.
- Provide appropriate gameday accommodations.
- Use creative, innovative approach to generate positive promotion of sport programs.
- Cultivation and oversight of student-worker staff, scheduling communications-assigned gameday staffing, educating them on all platforms in use by the communications staff and preparing them to execute any and all gameday tasks as assigned.
- Recording and organizing statistical and biographical data for assigned sports.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work cross-functionally and influence a variety of stakeholders.
- Develop effective working relationships with coaches and other members of the Athletic Department and throughout the University.
- Effective time management skills and the ability to balance multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Proficient with personal computers, including the entire suite of Microsoft Office Applications, Adobe Creative Cloud, and others as required.
- Ability to lead, manage, coach, and mentor people assigned to administrative functions within the department.
- Strong working knowledge of and proficiency in the use of social media platforms including but not limited to Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and more.
- Proficiency with Stat Crew and NCAA Live Stats statistical software.