This position will report to the President of the University and has overall responsibility for all aspects of the Department of Athletics including the visionary leadership, strategic development, management, coordination and supervision of a comprehensive NCAA Division 1 intercollegiate program with 16 sports teams and approximately 400 student-athletes. The Director of Athletics will be responsible for compliance with all institutional and Summit League, Missouri Valley Football Conference, and NCAA policies, rules and regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 5-8 years of experience as an executive in collegiate sports, adjacent industry, or similar executive leadership role.
- Experience working in a complex, dynamic, and diverse stakeholder environment.
- Comprehensive understanding of Division 1 intercollegiate athletics administration.
- A demonstrated understanding of Title IX and Gender Equity.
- Duties and Responsibilities (include but are not limited to)
- Demonstrate business acumen and sufficient financial competencies to oversee the University of South Dakota athletics budget.
- Represent South Dakota athletics at institutional, community, state, and national meetings.
- Advise the President and senior administrative officers on issues relating to intercollegiate athletics, its trends, problems and other pertinent matters.
- Develop, mentor, and retain coaches and staff.
- Commitment to supporting the holistic student-athlete with special consideration to mental health and overall wellness of student-athletes.
Korn Ferry shall provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified candidates, and will refer candidates without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected basis.