James Madison University, a Division I member of the NCAA and Sun Belt Conference, is accepting applications for a Director of Athletic Communications to coordinate communications, media relations and sports information strategies of JMU Athletics while developing public relations programs with a focus on digital, social and creative media to increase the public’s awareness of departmental events and achievements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strategize communications, media relations and sports information activities for JMU Athletics with a focus on most sport programs and an emphasis on digital and creative distribution methods. Work with coaches and other JMU Athletics units to implement communication strategies aligning with departmental vision and guiding principles.
- Coordinate all communication strategies for specifically tasked sport programs (2-4) to maximize coverage of the student-athlete experience at JMU. Sport responsibilities will include one revenue-generating sport.
- Supervise two full-time and additional part-time staff member/s while managing sport program assignments for those staff members, including training and strategy. Plans and schedules event coverage for communication staff for all sports, home and away.
- Foster positive relationships with external media partners while identifying opportunities to maximize coverage and proactively position JMU Athletics among local, regional and national media outlets.
- Multiple years of experience in an intercollegiate or professional sports team’s communications office.
- Must possess good writing and editing ability and knowledge of AP writing style.
- Desktop publishing and creative design experience, preferably with Adobe products (InDesign, Photoshop).
- Knowledge of various web software programs, game operations and various NCAA Live Stats (Genius) and Stat Crew statistical programs.
- Must be highly motivated, energetic, task-oriented, multitasking and be able to manage a work schedule that includes some weekend work.