The Director of Sports Information is the primary Public Relations person for the Department of Athletics and the voice of Hampton Athletics as it relates to media relations. The Director of Sports Information is required to abide by the rules and regulations established by Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC). Hampton University is a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) at the Division I level at the highest level of national standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for disseminating of all information pertaining to athletics for primary, i.e., news releases, features, home towners, etc.
- Must be present or have representatives in the press area for all home events.
- Responsible for reporting game results to affected media as soon as practical following athletic contests.
- Responsible for coordinating statistical coverage of all athletic contests as applicable. File completed forms with proper agencies (MEAC, NCAA, etc.)
- Coordinate press days, luncheons, and conferences, plus athletic alumni, and coaches’ events.
- Develop continuing mechanism for advertising sales to produce game programs and promoting student-athletes in a positive light.
- Record and retain current statistics on both teams and individuals for each sponsored sport for home and away contest.
- Originate and distribute publications relative to athletics i.e., brochures, pamphlets, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of three to five years’ experience in Sports Information environment is required.
- Master’s degree is preferred.
- General journalism experience preferred.
- A strong commitment to the student-athlete concept and a working knowledge of the NCAA rules and regulations is required.
- Computer skills, including desktop Publishing, Internet Web site maintenance, and Stat crew/The Automated Scorebook statistical software packages are strongly preferred.
- Experience in management dealing with the media on the local, regional, and national level is required.