To develop students' interest, abilities, talents and skills for physical education, as well as aesthetic understanding and appreciation by implementing district approved curriculum; documenting teaching and student progress/activities/outcomes; developing lesson plans; modeling the necessary skills to performing assigned tasks; providing a safe and optimal learning environment; and providing feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc.
- Develops and administers school physical education curriculum consistent with school district goals and objectives.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for physical education instruction.
- Teaches knowledge and skills in physical education, including learning of different athletic competition rules and skills and encouraging exercise routines, following the course of study adopted by the Board of Education, and other appropriate learning activities.
- Demonstrated ability to differentiate instruction, by using a variety of styles, and inspire mixed culture and ability classes by creating challenging and engaging learning opportunities for all students.
- Provides instruction by which pupils develop aesthetic concepts and appreciation and the ability to make qualitative judgments about sporting activities, and appreciation for the skills required to play sports.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student skills and learning in the physical education class, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of physical education curriculum and concepts.
- Demonstrated understanding of current research methods and pedagogy as to how children learn and the ability to motivate students to perform at their best.
- Display physical, social, mental and emotional soundness in order to execute the duties of the job.
- Ability to work in an economically, culturally and racially diverse environment.
- Demonstrated good attendance and punctuality.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.