Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. HVA is the demonstration site for the Progressive Education Institute.
- Establish classroom routines and follow through consistently.
- Develop and teach rigorous, engaging lessons.
- Use movement, sound and games creatively to involve students.
- Develop effective lesson plans and materials.
- Collaborate with colleagues to share best practices and ensure student mastery of standards.
- Maintain close relationships with students and families.
- Minimum of two years full-time elementary PE teaching experience required.
- Bachelor's degree in Physical Education or related field.
- Strong track record of student achievement and performance in your past teaching
- Ability to create a class environment in which students feel safe, supported and challenged to engage deeply in meaningful work.
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement.
- Highly thoughtful and reflective, committed to always getting smarter with colleagues, reflecting on mistakes, welcoming feedback and making continual adjustments in your practice.
- New York State teaching certification preferred.