To instruct athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success. At the same time, the student shall receive instruction that will lead to the formation of moral values, pride of accomplishment, acceptable social behavior, self-discipline and self-confidence.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Has knowledge of district, state and league regulations; implements same consistently and interprets them for staff.
- Establishes the fundamental philosophy, skills and techniques to be taught by the staff.
- Provides documentation to fulfill state and district requirements concerning physical exams, parental consent and eligibility.
- Participates in the budget process with athletic administrator. Recommends equipment and uniform needs and is also responsible for operating within budget appropriations.
- Promotes the sport within the school by recruiting athletes that are not participating in sports.
- By his/her presence at all practices, games and while traveling provide assistance, guidance and safeguards for each participant.
- Is accountable for all equipment and notifies athletic administrator of all cost or destroyed equipment/uniforms. Arranges for issuing, storing and collection of equipment and submits annual inventory and current end of year reports/records.
- Assists athletes in their college or advanced educational selections.
- Delegates specific duties, supervises implementation, and at season’s end, analyzes staff effectiveness and evaluates all assistants.
- Maintains discipline, adjusts grievances and works to increase morale and cooperation.
- Gives constant attention to a student athlete’s grades and conduct.
- Determines discipline on minor infractions and contacts parents when student is dropped or becomes ineligible.
- Maintains good public relations with news media, booster club, parents, officials, volunteers and fans.
- Trains and informs staff, encourages professional growth by encouraging clinic attendance according to local policy.
- Performs such other duties which may be assigned by the athletic administrator/principal.