Delcastle Technical High School
The major responsibilities of head coaches are listed below as a guide for carrying out assigned duties. Additional responsibilities may be inherent in individual programs for various coaches;
these should be delegated by the Building Athletic Director.
1. Abide by all rules, regulations, policies, and procedures set forth by his/her employer, the NCCVTSD, and DIAA.
2. Work cooperatively with the Building Athletic Director, Assistant Principal in charge of athletics, the Building Principal, and all other staff members.
3. Keep records as requested by the Athletic Director. Such records include an accurate and complete inventory, end-of-season report, athletic code of conduct reports, injury reports, eligibility list, team rosters, and equipment orders to name the most common.
4. Attend Rules Clinics sponsored by DIAA which pertain to his/her sport.
5. Supervise his/her overall program, including all teams, i.e. freshmen, junior-varsity, and varsity.
6. Serve in the selection process of assistant coaches.
7. Play a role in the evaluation of his/her assistant coach/coaches.
8. Delegate assignments to assistant coaches employed in his/her sport.
9. Be primarily responsible for coaching the varsity team in competition in his/her sport.
10. Verify the academic and social eligibility of each student/athlete in the program (managers and statisticians included).
11. Supervise pre, regular, and post practices/games of those student/athletes involved in his/her program. This includes locker-room and activity bus areas.
12. Order, maintain, and secure all equipment consistent with Athletic Director’s policies.
13. Clear all fund raising activities through the Student Activities Coordinator and Athletic Director.
14. Develop sportsmanship and foster good public relations in the school and community.
15. Administer the Athletic Code-of-Conduct in harmony with the Building Athletic Director and Student Advisor.