This position is responsible for coaching and providing direction to student athletes so that they might achieve a high level of skill as well as an appreciation for discipline, sportsmanship and teamwork in basketball. A basketball coach instructs players at practice and during games. He or she is also responsible for designing plays and strategies for the team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Knows and understands the basketball league rule book and any changes that are made.
- Studies the skills and abilities of the players on the team and puts each player in the most suitable position.
- Recognizes and uses each player’s specific talents to devise plays and playing strategies for games.
- Studies the abilities of the players on opposing teams as well as their.
- Works as a teacher when coaching a middle school or high school team.
- Knows how many timeouts are left in each game and makes the best use of them.
- Asks the referee questions about calls on plays.
- Keeps up with the score throughout the game.
- Devises drills and practice exercises that will adequately prepare players for each game.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Understand the fundamentals of the game of basketball.
- Be in good physical condition.
- Have the ability to motivate players to reach their potential.
- Must have exceptional leadership skills.
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- Have the ability to make quick decisions under pressure.
- Be able to effectively handle stress and keep the temper in check.