The Head Coach position is responsible for providing leadership and guidance to student athletes, assistant coaches and volunteers within the program. The Head Coach will instruct athletes in fundamental skills, mental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success.
- Proven experience in teaching and modeling character and responsible behavior.
- Positive, high energy, and committed to the program.
- Partners well with parents, staff, community leaders, etc.
- View success not just as winning, but as helping team members to reach goals.
- Must have substantial knowledge of the technical aspects of the sport and at the same time must continue to examine new theories and procedures pertinent to the field. Always strives to improve knowledge base and skills by attending clinics.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Coordinate the training, instruction, conditioning, and selection of athletes at all levels within the program.
- Establishes the fundamental philosophy, skills, and techniques to be taught by staff. Designs conferences, clinics, and staff meetings to insure staff awareness of the overall program.
- Delegates specific duties, supervises implementation, and at season’s end, analyzes staff effectiveness and evaluates all assistants.
- Verifies that all athletes have all forms and obligations cleared through the athletics department before athletes are allowed to practice.
- Advises the Athletics Director and recommends policy, method, or procedural changes.
- Assists the Athletics Director in hiring qualified staff as assistant coaches.
- Coordinates the activities and responsibilities of assistant coaches.
- Develops and organizes effective practices for athletes that teach skills and strategies needed to compete in our conference and UHSAA postseason play.