This is a managerial position responsible for the management and administration of all phases of a sports program in a manner that upholds the philosophy and objectives of the Department of Athletics and Stephen F. Austin State University. Regularly exercises discretion and independent judgment when performing work. Reports to the director of athletics.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Adheres to all applicable National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), conference, and university rules and regulations.
2. Oversees the recruitment and selection of student-athletes. Ensures compliance with NCAA guidelines for contacting and entertaining prospects. Initiates the process for determining academic eligibility and issuing National Letters of Intent.
3. Provides leadership and instruction in the personal and athletic development of student-athletes, including counseling team members in academic, disciplinary, and personal matters.
4. Monitors the eligibility status and promotes the academic progress of student-athletes. Assists in enforcing study hall attendance for referred freshmen and others with grade deficiencies. Supports the guidelines established by the assistant athletics director for academic services.
5. Manages the sports program within the framework of a balanced budget.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of, or the ability to learn, university policies and procedures.
2. Knowledge of, or ability to learn, policies, procedures, and guidelines established by the conference and the NCAA.
3. Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
4. Ability to set priorities and complete assignments on time.
5. Ability to problem-solve a variety of situations.
6. Ability to effectively plan and delegate the work of others.
7. Ability to maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
Stephen F. Austin State University, an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and Educator, is committed to excellence through diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, creed, color, age, national origin, religion or physical or mental disability as required by law.