- Hold a New Jersey instructional certificate, or a county substitute certificate (N.J.A.C. 6:29-3.3 and 6:11-4.5).
- Hold and maintain first aid certification and CPR certification.
- Hold a valid driver’s license with no serious violations.
- Show evidence of successful experience in the assigned sport and in working with students or with student athletes.
- Have the ability to demonstrate the physical skills required of the sport, and be able to explain the rules and regulations governing the sport.
- Have excellent integrity and demonstrate good moral character and initiative.
- Exhibit a personality that demonstrates interpersonal skills to relate well with students, staff, administration, parents and the community.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing, using proper grammar and vocabulary.
- Provide proof of U. S. citizenship or legal resident alien status by completing Federal Form I-9 in compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
- Provide evidence that a criminal record history check has been conducted and clearance has been given by the Department of Education. During the initial six month period provide a sworn statement that the individual has not been convicted of a crime or a disorderly persons offense in accordance with 18A:6-7.1.