This position instructs high school athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success in their program. The employee must understand and abide by all building, Tacoma School District and Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) policies, regulations, procedures and guidelines.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Organizes practice sessions that are both stimulating and instructive, and conducted on a regular daily basis with the idea of developing the athlete’s greatest potential; teaches basic fundamental skills of the sport; prepares daily practice activities and keeps records on file; emphasizes and promotes good sportsmanship in the conduct of team members and coaches; abides by regulations in the district Coaches’ Handbook.
- Assumes responsibility for all phases of the program involving coordination of facility use in conjunction with building athletic director; follows building and district procedures for budgeting and purchase of equipment through ASB; follows district procedures for handling injuries; submits to the athletic trainer a list of names of students who sustain incapacitating injuries during the season; maintains injury records in conjunction with athletic trainer; prearranges transportation with the building athletic director.
- Informs students and parents of the proper procedures of eligibility and special rules for the particular sport; posts rules and issues them to each participant.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent and a minimum of three years of experience as an assistant coach; must be at least 21 years of age (WIAA regulation); or any combination of experience and training which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and ability required to perform the work and that meets federal and state requirements.
- First Aid Certificate, CPR card and AED training are required.
- Red Cross Safety Training or Lifeguard certification is also required for swimming, diving and water polo coaches.