Position is responsible for coaching student athletes in game strategies and techniques to prepare them for athletic competition. Position motivates student athletes to develop an appreciation of the sport.
- Holds organizational meetings for team prospects and encourages potential athletes to participate in the sport.
- Assesses players’ skills and assigns team positions.
- Develops a regular practice schedule and organizes practice time to provide both individual and team development.
- Works with the athletic director in scheduling facilities for practices and competition.
- Supervises and assigns duties to assistant coaches, as necessary.
- Coaches and instructs players, individually or in groups, regarding the rules, regulations, equipment, and techniques of the sport.
- Observes players during competition and practice, to determine the needs for individual or team improvement.
- Determines game strategy based on the team’s capabilities.
- Minimum High School Diploma Required.
- Connecticut coaching certificate.
- Current First Aid/CPR/AED Training; Connecticut Coaching Module #15 certificate.
- Experience as a coach at high school or college level preferred; combination of head coach, assistant coach, player and/or education may be substituted.
- Three years’ high school coaching experience.
- Must possess effective coaching techniques and skills.
- Must possess knowledge of rules, regulations, strategies and techniques of the sport.