To help each participating student achieve a high level of skill, in appreciation for the values of discipline and sportsmanship, and an increased level of self-esteem.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and instruction to participants in the skills necessary for achievement in specific sport.
- Organize, develop and implement the sport program including game preparation and practice schedules.
- Oversee the safety conditions of the facilities or area in which the sport is conducted at all times that students are present.
- Enforce discipline and sportsmanlike behavior at all times, and establish and oversee consequences for breach of such standards by individual students.
- Maintain competency in rules, rule interpretations; meet procedures, coaching techniques and general information about all aspects of the sport.
- Establish performance criteria for participation in interscholastic competition in the specific sport and is consistent in establishing criteria for participation for competition.
- Select and supervise assigned coaching staff in cooperation with administration.
Education and/or Experience:
- B.A. degree with a major or minor in physical education or equivalent hours and courses in coaching theory is preferred.
- Valid Iowa teaching license preferred.
- Experience in physical education, coaching, first-aid, CPR and sports medicine preferred.