This position instructs middle school athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success in their program. The employee must understand and abide by all building, Tacoma School District and Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) policies, regulations, procedures and guidelines.
- Plans, develops and implements an effective program for the particular sport to prepare athletes both physically and mentally to participate with confidence and self-assurance in athletic contests; formulates behavioral objectives for the coming sports season; administers discipline when necessary in a fair and consistent manner; emphasizes safety precautions; provides opportunities for each participant to achieve some success; shares information with parents (rules, schedule, practice days and times) to review the total scope of program; informs participants prior to season about the district’s policies and regulations and extracurricular activity contract.
- Organizes practice sessions that are both stimulating and instructive; conducts practice with 7th and 8th grade teams four days a week and 6th grade teams two days a week, immediately after school with the idea of developing the athlete’s greatest potential; teaches basic fundamental skills of the sport; prepares daily practice activities and keeps records on file; emphasizes and promotes good sportsmanship in the conduct of team members and coaches.
- Assumes responsibility for all phases of the program involving coordination of facility use in conjunction with building athletic director; follows building and district procedures for budgeting and purchase of equipment through ASB; follows district procedures for handling injuries; submits to the building athletic director a list of names of students who sustain incapacitating injuries during the season; maintains injury records in conjunction with the building athletic director.
- Informs students and parents of the proper procedures of eligibility and special rules for the particular sport; posts rules and issues them to each participant.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of building, Tacoma School District, and WIAA policies, regulations, procedures and guidelines.
- Knowledge of effective coaching practices/techniques for the particular sport.
- Ability to comply with WIAA coaching standards.
- Ability to motivate students.
- Ability to exercise fairness in dealing with student athletes.
- Ability to conduct oneself in an ethical and exemplary manner at all times.
- Ability to maintain poise and composure during practice and games.
- Ability to relate to students of differing athletic abilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work and student relationships with a variety of people in a multi-cultural, diverse socio-economic setting.