The head coach is responsible for all aspects of the Men’s Lacrosse program, including, but not limited to: practice preparation, skill instruction, on-field coaching, player development, recruiting, budget management, team travel, scheduling, academic success and student-athlete welfare.
- Maintain and/or build the sport program that is competitive at the conference level.
- Recruitment of student athletes: recruit student athletes in accordance with all applicable rules and regulations; recruit an adequate number of student athletes; and recruit student athletes of sufficient skill to maintain quality of the program.
- Retention of student athletes: assess academic performance of student athletes at least once each semester; ensure academic retention of student athletes minimally mirrors retention rate of the college.
- Demonstrate effective coaching through content knowledge, practice construction and execution, and the affective dimension (e.g., interpersonal interactions, enthusiasm, respect and rapport).
- Plan and coordinate effective team practices in preparation for competition; serve as game coach for each contest; instruct student athletes in physical health (strength, conditioning & skill training); instruct individual/team concepts, and safety.
- Administer the individual sport team budget throughout the academic year.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to recruit, inspire, mentor, coach and teach highly talented student- athletes.
- Ability to teach or work with a diverse student population.
- A strong identification with and support of SUNY Cortland mission, vision and campus priorities.
- Ability to adhere to all policies, rules and regulations of SUNY Cortland, SUNY System, SUNYAC and the NCAA.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- Ability to communicate effectively – via technology, in person, and in writing.
- Ability to represent the department and college in a friendly, courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment as needed.
- Ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize objectives and exercise independent judgement based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities.
- Ability to hire and supervise qualified assistants and student employees.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations in a timely manner.