This full-time position will oversee all aspects of developing, leading, and maintaining a collegiate Men’s Volleyball program. This requires an understanding and commitment to the mission of Calvin University, the ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends, and an ability to work with students, parents, coaches, faculty, staff, administrators, and outside contacts.
- Plan and lead practice and training sessions for the Men’s Volleyball Program.
- Work with athletic administration to develop contest and practice schedules.
- Maintain positive working relationships with Athletic Department staff and faculty, Enrollment and Advancement Division staff, and other college constituents.
- Depending on team size and travel distance, drive for out-of-town trips if needed.
- Accept constructive criticism and show evidence of professional growth.
- Adhere to the Code of Ethics for coaches (Calvin, MIAA, NCAA).
- Contribute to the maintenance of good working relationships with assistant coaches and student-athletes through a positive and constructive approach to all tasks, show respect for the competencies of others, and demonstrate appropriate resolution behavior.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- RECRUITING – Work collaboratively with the admissions office to recruit new student-athletes that can achieve success academically and athletically at Calvin. Abides by all recruiting rules and regulations set forth by the NCAA.
- ACADEMICS – In coordination with the all the resources at the university, monitor academic progress throughout the year to ensure academic success, eligibility, retention, and graduation.
- LEADERSHIP – Communicate skillfully with colleagues, subordinates, and student-athletes. Maintains self-control and sets an example for sportsmanlike conduct in relationships with your team, officials, administration and opponents in victory or defeat. Provide clear direction of responsibility and authority. Attend and contribute to athletic department meetings and functions.
- BUDGET AND FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT Monitor budget and expenses routinely and ensure timely turnaround of team credit cards and expense reimbursements. Keep the program within allocated budget parameters.
- NCAA RULES/COMPLIANCE – Adhere to MIAA Conference and NCAA rules. Attend all internal compliance meetings, follow departmental policies, and complete paperwork and reports on time.