The University seeks an innovative and dynamic leader of its men’s wrestling program, who will work with students, staff, and alumni across the University to build and maintain excellence in its men’s wrestling program. The head coach is expected to recruit and retain a diverse group of student-athletes, while promoting academic and athletic excellence for the program.
RESPONSIBILITIES & EXPECTATIONS:
- Maintaining a commitment to academic and athletic excellence;
- Responsible for the management and administration of an intercollegiate wrestling program that competes regularly for conference championships;
- Hiring, motivating, supervising and evaluating assistant coaches;
- Ability to identify and recruit quality student-athletes, along with a strong desire to teach, coach and mentor a group of diverse young men;
- Managing program budget, travel and equipment logistics with department administration;
- Representing the program internally and externally with entities including, but not limited to; faculty and staff, admissions, friends and family of men’s wrestling, fans, donors, and the greater Humboldt community;
- Organizing, managing, and directing the men’s wrestling program effectively and providing for full compliance with all applicable university, NCAA and conference rules.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience coaching wrestling at National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), junior college, or other comparable level;
- Strong and stable work ethic and commitment to excellence in academics and athletics;
- A commitment to and understanding of recruiting, retaining and graduating student-athletes, and the ability to collaboratively work with department and campus partners;
- Evidence of high ethical standards as well as personal and professional integrity;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with both internal and external constituencies;
- Entrepreneurial and optimistic mindset in regards to resource management and evaluation. Experience in fiscal management, and ability and willingness to be involved in fundraising;
- Leadership, organizational skills, and sound decision making abilities;
- Ability to demonstrate motivation abilities.