The head coach of all athletic activities facilitates development and safety of members of the team, schedules practices and attendance at games, coordinates publicity and student recognition, maintains equipment necessary for the activity, supervises assistant coaches, and assists as necessary with budgeting for the activity.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Develops a written practice/training plan in accordance with all regulations pertaining to the activity and is present at all practices to ensure the plan is followed;
- Ensures student safety by: developing and using appropriate conditioning/practice programs; temporarily limiting a student’s participation if signs of overexertion appear; following physician orders regarding student participation; following appropriate first aid practices in case of student injury;
- Inspects and maintains equipment, keeps a current equipment inventory, and ensures that equipment is used only for the purpose for which it was purchased;
- Assigns duties to and supervises the activities of all assistant coaches and student managers;
- Coordinates team sign-up and participation by: obtaining names of interested students; submitting the list of names to the athletic director at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the season and obtaining a list of eligible members from the school office on the first day of practice; ensuring that only eligible students are allowed to practice; and checking the daily attendance sheet for student eligibility;
- Coordinates team activities with other school activities and staff, and prepares a season schedule for team members.
- A helpful, calm, friendly, and polite manner when interacting with students, parents, school staff, and competitors;
- The ability to generate enthusiasm among team members;
- The ability to make reasoned decisions;
- Appropriate discretion concerning students, staff, and confidential or privileged information.