The Head Coach is responsible for coaching student athletes in sport specific techniques and strategies, while maintaining the core philosophies of Westerly Public Schools. They will instruct student athletes in individual and team fundamentals, strategy and physical training necessary to realize a degree of individual and team success.
- Hold organizational meetings for team prospects and encourage potential athletes to participate in the sport.
- Follow state, regional, and district regulations governing the athletic program.
- Work with the Athletics Director in scheduling facilities for practices and competition.
- Model sports-like behavior and maintain appropriate conduct towards players, officials, and spectators.
- Assign assistant coaches to sub varsity responsibilities.
- Establish and maintain standards of pupil behavior and provide proper supervision of student-athletes at all times.
- Monitor the academic performance of team members to ensure that eligibility requirements are met; and encourage student athletes to maintain a high academic standard.
- Develop a regular practice schedule and organize practice time to provide both individual and team development.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience is preferred.
- Must have a high school diploma, or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Must have First Aid and CPR certifications at time of hire.
- Successfully complete the NFHS Fundamentals of Coaching Course within 30 days of hire.
- Annually complete the NFHS Concussion management course.