The Head Women’s Cross-Country/Half Marathon Coach is responsible for providing the leadership and coaching expertise necessary to lead the Parkland College women’s cross-country/half marathon team and ensure the academic progress of student-athletes. This position is a part-time, 12-month, exempt, stipend appointment on a schedule established by the Athletic Director. Internal and external events may occasionally necessitate an altered work schedule.
Essential Job Functions:
- Recruit student-athletes according to National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA), Midwest Athletic Conference (MWAC), and Parkland College Athletics Department guidelines.
- Manage team budget and participate in fundraising efforts for the department.
- Plan and schedule league and non-league contests, transportation, training, and practice sessions.
- Organize, manage, and participate in all team competitions and travel.
- Compile, maintain, and report all race scoring and statistics as required by the NJCAA and MWAC.
- Plan and contribute to the team’s technical training sessions; teach proper technique and training methods.
- Serve as a positive role model creating an environment for the team that promotes academic achievement, good sportsmanship, open communication, team discipline, and respect.
- Instruct athletes how to use fitness center equipment one-on-one or while in a group and instruct on the proper use of modern physical fitness equipment.
- Associate degree or equivalent combination of education and past experience coaching and/or teaching cross country/half marathon.
- Obtain and maintain CPR/First Aid Certification.
- Must successfully complete a criminal background check with fingerprinting.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to communicate effectively with diverse populations.
- In an effort to comply with SURS return-to-work restrictions for employers (40 ILCS 5/15-139.5), candidates for employment at Parkland College must either not be a SURS annuitant or must be willing to suspend his/her SURS annuity upon employment. This applies to all SURS annuitants except those receiving their annuity under either the Self-Managed Plan (SMP) or by lump sum payment.