This position promotes and supports the learning experience of Marian University students by, overseeing all phases of maintaining a successful American Collegiate Hockey Association hockey program within compliance of Marian University, Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference, and ACHA, and NCAA rules and regulations.
- Responsible for in-game coaching.
- Keeps informed of contemporary trends, tactics, techniques and strategies in coaching, which includes developing a philosophy of what to teach and how to implement. Provides coaching and direction to assistant coaches, as well as praise and constructive feedback.
- Plans, implements and evaluates practice sessions. Communicates expectations, praise and corrective feedback in a clear and constructive manner.
- Develops effective game plans. Prepares team physically, mentally and emotionally for competition; maintains and meets high expectations for team athletic success.
- Instructs student-athletes on high expectations for academic achievement; monitors the academic progress of student-athletes.
- Instructs student-athletes on high expectations for student-athlete social responsibility and works to develop well-rounded student-athletes.
- Instructs student-athletes on a standard of proper student-athlete conduct, both in and out of the athletic arena and works with the Director of Athletics to sanction those who do not meet the set standard.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, and SKILLS REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Strong ability to recruit student athletes in the context of NCAA Division III philosophy.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Successful intercollegiate coaching and/or playing experience.
- Willingness to support the Mission and Core Values of the University.